It is clear we need common sense gun regulation for the public safety and I strongly believe that Constitution authorizes such regulation. The Supreme Court itself has acknowledged that the right to gun ownership is not without limits. I believe that we must strengthen our background check system, close loopholes in existing laws and we must create new legislation more strident in the banning of military-style and semi-automatic assault weapons or adapters allowing other guns to be manipulated into rapid-firing weapons. While the Bill of Rights should be respected, there is no grounds for the 2nd Amendment taking precedence over the 1st. The lack of gun regulation prevents peaceful assembly and speech without fear of violent retribution, has become completely inappropriate and out of touch with the intention of the Bill of Rights.
- Semi-automatic weapons ban
- Close gun show purchasing loophole
- Universal background checks
- Federal waiting period for purchase
- Limit magazine size
- 48h enforced weapon removal from convicted domestic abusers
- Study gun violence as a public health issue (repeal Dickey Amendment)
- Teach children how to identify improperly stored guns and what to do in such situations
- National gun buyback program
- Allow gun manufacturers to be liable for crimes committed with illegally distributed guns
Most Americans agree on these common sense gun reform measures. It is big money in politics that obstructs the people’s demand for safer gun legislation. The path to gun reform legislation and a long term fix runs through the heart of the NRA: SuperPACs.
We must elect legislators that are not beholden to an immoral and corrupt campaign finance system where money flows into races from corporate PACs and SuperPACs. We can be the change we want in the world, by electing leaders who denounce the strings of control by special interest and the corporate elite. By doing so, we can have leaders whose power emanates from the people so will truly champion campaign finance reform. When we overturn Citizen’s United and move to public campaign financing, the NRA will no longer be able to hold our political system and children’s safety hostage.